The Single Pitch Supervisor Award provides training and assessment for those who supervise single pitch traditional and sport rock climbing.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old
- Candidates are required to demonstrate experience of the concepts covered in the Rock Climbing Skills course.
Assessment:1 day. If the pupil can show extensive prior experience and competence during the course, the instructor may proceed directly into a RPL assessment.
The award covers:
- Equipment usage and care
- Lead climbing of trad routes
- Lead climbing of sport routes
- Belay techniques
- Bolted and trad anchor systems
- Basic understanding of Fall factors and impact forces in the safety chain
- Group supervision
- Releasable and retrievable abseils
- Ascending the rope
- Hauling systems and stuck climbers
- Escaping the system
- Rope types and uses
- Emergency Procedures
- MDT and NQF training and qualification structure and skills
- Scope and remit of the qualification
The award does not cover:
- The skills needed to approach and retreat from mountain crags
- Access to any location where escape is not easily possible from the top and the bottom of a climb
- Multi-pitch rock climbing and it’s supervision