The Multi-pitch Supervisor Course provides training for those who supervise those wishing to learn to lead multi-pitch climbs. The course covers both Sport and Traditional climbing in a single and multi-pitch context. The M.P.S.A is the Feeder Course for the Rock Climbing or Mountaineering Instructor Award.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old
- Candidates are required to demonstrate experience of the concepts covered in the Single Pitch Supvervisor and Abseil Supervisor Awards.
Training: 3 days
Assessment:2 days. If the pupil can show extensive prior experience and competence during the course, the instructor may proceed directly into a RPL assessment.
- Equipment usage and care
- Access & the environment
- Knowledge of, selection and placing protection equipment, including multi-point anchors
- The science of climbing, including impact forces and fall factors
- Route finding
- Lead climbing
- Multi pitch climbing including single and double rope techniques
- Escaping/retreat from multi pitch routes
- Avoiding and solving common problems
- Rope management, knots, running belays
- Abseiling from improvised anchor points
- Emergency procedures
- MDT and NQF training and qualification structure and skills
- Scope and remit of the qualification
The award does not cover:
- The skills needed to approach and retreat from mountain crags
- The supervision or leadership of other climbers
- Aid climbing